What is Postnatal Care?
The postnatal period begins after the delivery of your baby and lasts for six to eight weeks. During this time, as a new mother, you may undergo many physical and emotional changes, and should learn to care for your newborn. You should also take good care of yourself to restore your strength. Some tips for a new mother are as follows:
- Sleep while your baby sleeps. This helps you to gradually regain your strength.
- Go out for a walk to get some fresh air and sunshine.
- Emphasise on your nutritional intake and maintain a healthy diet. This promotes healing and recovery.
- Breastfeed your baby at appropriate times.
- Take care of your perineal area. Keep yourself clean and dry.
- Refrain from alcohol intake during breastfeeding.
- Contact your health care professional immediately if you notice any problem or signs such as heavy bleeding, breast infection or pain in the pelvic region.